Sunday, January 16, 2011

Heirarchy of Needs

"If you deliberately plan on being less than you are capable of being, then I warn you that you'll be unhappy the rest of your life." ~Abraham Maslow (1908-1970)


Chances are you have seen this pyramid before - it's the most recognizable contribution of Abraham Maslow to the modern field of psychology and the human condition. The simple premise is that the upper levels collapse if not properly supported by the lower levels.


In my fourth season restoring Bessie, I appreciate this pyramid in a new dimension. Winter-time at 45deg N brings the cold, the wet, and the clammy conditions. Accustomed to making large strides when I worked on her in the spring, summer, and fall, the winter progress slowed to a halt.

The rains arrived and limited the dry workable areas. Then the cold numbed my hands, my feet, and eventually my ears. The days grew shorter, ending the after-work tinkering hours. The available daylight grew dim with the overcast drear and the low sun angle. The Pacific Northwest offered its typical flat light, so dim and diffuse that shadows disappear, or perhaps blend into the light. The trailer was cold and dark. Hibernation.


And then one weekend brought a storm of warm rains (mid 50s) and a break in the clouds. It dawned on me that heat was more critical to life than I understood. I always understood that we as creatures require food, water, and shelter - all of which you provide yourself when you go camping. Typically when camping, people use the term "roughing it" to describe the absence of civilized convenience. Typically when camping, a fire and a warm sleeping bag provide the necessary heat. Typically, I don't think about needing heat all day long.


Lack of heat will bring your spirits crashing to the ground. Your mood changes, you draw inward, and your motivation dissipates. All you want is to warm up - for the cold to stop. Thinking about equipping Bessie for four-season camping brought to mind cold nights and cold mornings - but also cold down-time throughout the day. The trailer is meant to provide the comforts of home in a transportable fashion, and it became apparent to me that after a full belly, heat is the most important aspect of comfort. It's time to replace the missing heater.


I shopped around and did my research - did I want a gas furnace or a catalytic heater? It had to be propane-powered for the ability to boondock, or drycamp, or if we decide to pull over at a rest stop on a long roadtrip. The idea of a giant wall of flame from a gas furnace unsettled me and seemed like overkill, so I opted for a catalytic heater - no flame. A catalytic pad of platinum crystals creates low temperature heat (700F) when propane mingles with the atmosphere. Sure the process consumes oxygen, but Bessie is quite drafty and has plenty of windows and vents to open. We'll manage to breathe just fine.


So here's where our heat will come from, mounted in the front section of the trailer. It's an Olympian Wave 6 Catalytic Heater. Stay tuned for the installation.


Now the ski resort parking lots will be much more pleasant!
As will the after-surf mellow time!