Thursday, January 20, 2011

Front Endcap Shelf Replacement

Bessie arrived in "As-Is" condition. Two leaky winters in Oregon took their toll and her wood rotted away in many places. All the rotten wood was removed. What was salvaged was salvaged and what was unsalvaged was set aside as templates for replacement. A good example of this is the lower shelf in the front end cap.


The lower shelf sits directly below the front window and is the support for the kitchen table. The shelf itself was rotten plywood and a complete mess. It was used to cut a new piece of mahogany for replacement. The support beam had some tricky angles I didn't want to replicate so it was refurbished. Unfortunately it wasn't made of mahogany, so the appropriate stain didn't create the appropriate color.


Once sanded, stained, and sealed, the shelf needed a unique part to properly connect it to the aluminum wall. Yes I could have done what the previous owner did and just cut some 1" x 1" wood as a support beam, or maybe used some L-brackets, but I wanted the lower shelf to match the upper shelf in craftsmanship. I ordered this part from Vintage Trailer Supply (.com!) and cut it to length.


Brie helped me level the shelf and install the support beam to its original location and ta-da! Now it can support the table.


And that's a wrap ladies and gents. A front-end shelf ready for road-action!


Since the lower crossbeam is made from a different material than the upper crossbeam, it is clearly not original. I am unclear if the original design had a lower shelf at all. Many of the photos I've seen simply had the metal piece bolted onto the aluminum wall. I suppose I'll have to consult the forums on this one.