Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Return

It's been 90 days since the last post. The one when the floors went in and we skeedaddled off to New Mexico (without Bessie) for the summer solstice. No posts since then? Pourquoi? Am I just lazy? Well, yes, but that's not entirely the reason.

Summertime arrived in Oregon, and not only does that mean a reprieve from the oppressive clouds of fall, winter, and spring, it means the state turns into one giant REI playground. In addition, when Brie and I returned from New Mexico after 10 days, we realized how much time Bessie's restoration gobbled up. It had been two months that we'd been going at Bessie every weekend, and some weeknights. The telltales of burnout appeared for both of us. They showed up first for Brie, because I was more stubborn (at least this time I was, poke-poke, wink-wink).

I can't remember when the light bulb pinged in my head, but I realized how out of balance my life had become - I was sacrificing everything to work on Bessie. And I finally admitted how badly I underestimated the time required to restore Bessie.

So I took a break. And we enjoyed summertime in beautiful Oregon. And now, like football season and the autumn rainclouds drifting over the coastal mountains, I'm back.